National organization recognizes enhanced cyber security
DECATUR, GA—For the fifth consecutive year, DeKalb County Government has won national recognition as a leader in the innovative use of technology, including its work in enhancing the county’s cyber security.
The Center for Digital Government and the National Association of Counties (NACo) ranked DeKalb County second in the nation among counties with a population of 500,000 to 999,999 in the 19th annual Digital Counties Survey. Out of the 88 counties in this category, only three were from Georgia, including Gwinnett and Cobb that ranked eight and tenth, respectively.
Since 2017, DeKalb County has been recognized in the top ten counties nationally each year.
“The DeKalb County Department of Innovation and Technology, under the leadership of John Matelski, diligently protects the county from countless cyber threats each year,” said DeKalb CEO Michael Thurmond. “This award recognizes that cyber security is a top priority of DeKalb’s information technology experts.”
Over the past year, DeKalb County has enhanced its technology services in several ways, including:
- Expanded and enhanced cyber security systems to protect County systems and data, including establishing a 24 x 7 virtual security operations center and expanding the cyber security education program.
- Digitally transformed citizen and constituent engagement channels, increasing participation and transparency.
- Coordinated with the Board of Health and provided them with real time language translation devices to help facilitate health related services in over 400 languages.
- Enabled and supported important governmental services to ensure continued and expanded delivery of services including courts, public safety, community services, youth services and health.
“We continue to transform the delivery of government services through innovative and cost-effective technology with a commitment to systems and data security as well as excellent customer service,” said Chief Innovation and Information Officer John Matelski.
The list of recognized counties in the 500,000-999,999-population category included:
1. Prince George’s County, MD
2. DeKalb County, GA
3. Snohomish County, WA
4. San Joaquin County, CA
5. County of San Mateo, CA
6. County of Sonoma, CA
7. New Castle County, DE
8. Gwinnett County, GA
9. Polk County, FL
10. Cobb County, GA