ATLANTA– As the holiday season kicks off, Georgia Power is inviting customers to show off their light displays and festive decorations on social media for a chance to win weekly prizes including home energy saving kits, and tickets to top Georgia holiday attractions and sporting events. The sweepstakes runs through Dec. 24, 2021.
Entering the sweepstakes* is easy:
Step 1: Follow Georgia Power on Instagram and “Like” Georgia Power on Facebook.
Step 2: Take a photo of how you are celebrating the holidays with festive decorations and lights at your home with friends and family.
Step 3: Share your photo on Instagram with #GPCHolidayLights and tag @Ga_Power in your post. Or, on Facebook, post your photo using #GPCHolidayLights and tag the Georgia Power page.
Each week during the promotion period, Georgia Power will randomly select one entry submitted to receive a prize. Winners will be chosen on the following days and contacted via direct message on Instagram or Facebook if they have won:
- (Week 1) Friday, Dec. 10– Two winners will be randomly chosen to win an Energy Savings Kit that includes four LED light bulbs, a faucet spray aerator, a chrome shower head, and an advanced power strip.
- (Week 2) Friday, Dec. 17 – One winner will be randomly chosen to win a family four pack of tickets to their choice of Callaway Gardens’ Fantasy in Lights or Lake Lanier’s Lakeside Lights Spectacular.
- (Week 3) Tuesday, Dec. 28 –One winner will be randomly chosen to receive a pair of tickets to the Atlanta Falcons vs. New Orleans Saints game at Mercedes-Benz Stadium on Jan. 9.
Save money, energy this holiday season
Throughout the holiday season, Georgia Power reminds customers that focusing on energy efficiency can help them save money and energy as they celebrate. Simple tips for the holidays include switching to energy efficient LED decorations, which use more than 50 percent less energy than traditional decorations and putting lights and inflatables on a timer to ensure they’re only on when people are home, or awake, to enjoy them. For more easy ways to save money and energy this holiday season, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com/EnergyEfficiency, and shop for energy saving devices on the Georgia Power Marketplace.
Put safety first as you decorate and celebrate
Georgia Power encourages customers to stay safe around electricity every day, and especially when decorating for the holidays:
Check your outlets – Look for outlets that have loose-fitting plugs, exposed wires or broken plates. Have them fixed by a qualified electrician. Use safety covers on all outlets accessible to children.
- Don’t let cords hang –Do not place appliance cords where they will come into contact with the stove or other heated surfaces. Do not hang appliance cords over countertops, where they might be accidentally pulled down.
- Inspect cords for wear and tear –Worn or frayed appliance cords can cause fire, electric shock and even electrocution. As a basic home safety procedure, inspect cords regularly to assess wear and replace cords as needed.
- Invest in Surge Protectors –Only use surge protectors with internal circuit breakers. To prevent overheating, these units will trip the breaker if the power strip is overloaded or shorted to prevent overheating. Do not plug a surge protector into an existing surge protector. When the surge protector is not in use, unplug the unit.
- Avoid utility poles –Never attach lights or decorations or within proximity to a utility pole.
For more electric safety tips, visit www.GeorgiaPower.com/Safety.
No purchase necessary to enter the sweepstakes. Winners must be Georgia Power customer 18 years of age or older and will be randomly selected each week from that week’s entry period (the preceding Friday to Thursday). To be considered for weekly prizes, participants must “like” and “follow” Georgia Power on Facebook and Instagram and post their photo of their festive decorations and light displays using the hashtag #GPCHolidayLights and tagging Georgia Power. If their photo is selected for use on Georgia Power’s social media channels, participants will receive a direct message from the company’s social media team with a request to approve usage of their content.